Saturday, January 22, 2011

Education Week: School Start Times

It seems like the older we get or the busier our lives get, we get less sleep.  How many of us would benefit from just one more hour of lying in our warm, comfortable beds?  According to an article titled, "Canadian Schools Finds Later Start Times Means Better Grades" by Trish Crawford, they feel later start times are important for increasing academic growth.  In theory this sounds like a great solution, soI ask myself why don't we try this here?  While I think data could show that young adults are alert and eager to learn later in the day versus first thing in the morning, I still don't think this is the answer.  Even as an adult, if I know that I can sleep in an extra hour or two, I end up going to bed an hour or two later.  So if we push school start times back, I think this will just justify young teenagers to stay up a couple of extra hours playing video games.  I think we need to hold parents accountable for poor sleeping habits and turn off those video games!

No comments:

Post a Comment