Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Edutopia: Do Colleagues Influence Your Performance?

After reading this poll by Sara Ring, it made me think about how much teachers affect the attitudes and performance within my own building.  There are not a lot of young, vibrant educators in my building.  In fact, most of the teachers have been teaching for 20+ years.  It is rather difficult for some of my colleagues to accept change and be willing to change.  They are set in their ways and their attitudes reflect that.  There are a handful of new educators in the building and when we bring in fresh, new ideas the more experienced staff speak boldly to try to discourage the idea altogether.  I have learned helpful strategies, lessons, and classroom management tips from these veteran teachers, but I just wish they would be more willing to learn from their new colleagues.

2 comments:

  1. I was also in the same situation that you are. The more "seasoned" teachers are very set in their ways. I actually had a colleague make the comment that "if it isn't broke, why try to fix it?" It took just about everything I had inside to not throw a fit and explain that it isn't working, that is the problem. Fortunately, I am now teaching in another district where the staff is much younger and more acceptable to change. The staff is significantly younger and more comfortable with the idea of change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been at the same school for six years and being surrounded by colleagues that don't want to change makes me frustrated. It is time for a change and if I am the only one willing, then I will follow my own path.

    ReplyDelete