Thursday, February 17, 2011

ReadWriteWeb: A Watson Victory? This is About a Contest, Not Science

I didn't actually get to see the three day Jeopardy show, but after reading this article by Alex Williams, I watched some clips of the show.  It is amazing that IBM has created this machine, Watson, and they are going to offer it for university research.  New scientific advances emerge every year and it is truly amazing how they have used these advances in medicine, education, etc.  I do worry that these advances will change use as humans.  The more machines or robots can do for us, the lazier we may become.  I heard on the radio this morning that teenage obesity is on the rise.  Could it be because of these great technology devices we call video games.  Someday we may have robots doing all of the service jobs that humans do.  Instead of doctors we will be diagnosed by machines.  I am not sure I like where the future may be heading.

1 comment:

  1. I did get to see a part of one show. My other half had turned on the TV and I happened to walk past and saw it on. It didn't seem right to me. I made me feel ackward watching it. Needless to say, it was turned off within a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete